Jazzy J

Jazzy J

Sunday, May 15, 2011

First Fever

(This is one of those I'm basically documenting for me, so it's not too interesting!)

Moriah started getting a little fussy and I could just tell she was uncomfortable yesterday about 4:30am. She has not woken up in the night since 9 weeks old, so I figured something was going on. She was congested and snorting and whining. She wasn't running a fever yet, but she was unsettled and I could just tell she wasn't feeling well, so I went ahead and gave her a little Tylenol, as well as doing the "snot sucker" and doing some nasal Saline drops. Yesterday afternoon her temp gradually increased, and by last night it was 100.7. I realize no seasoned mother would even bat an eye at that temp, but it was our first fever and I got my first dose of seeing my baby not feeling well and it wasn't too fun! My parents had gone on a date in Tyler and happened to stop by, so I was glad my mom was there with me (and you too, Dad! heehee). Mom held Moriah while I called the doctor and they gave me some good tips, and I was relieved to know I was already doing most of what they suggested. They said I didn't need to bring her in unless her temp got above 102, or if it was lower than that but she was inconsolable or had alot of trouble breathing, wasn't eating, etc. She was still eating ok and although she was uncomfortable and "whimpery," she was consolable. In the night she got fussy again about 3ish, so I went in and checked her and it had gone up to 101.8. She was clammy and not feeling well at all. After changing her diaper, doing her nose drops/snot sucker, and giving her some Tylenol, I snuggled her up with me in the recliner and we both slept until 7:30, at which time she was ready for a bottle. Her temp went down to 100.7 and then at 10:30am it was down to 99.7. So we will see if it keeps going down!

Billy was such a big help. He was just "there" to help or support however I needed and to get something, which is exactly what I needed. I did notice, however, that "thing" you hear about when a baby wants their Mama when they're sick! It's so interesting, because she adores her Daddy! But there was one time in particular he had given her a bottle and she was getting fussy, and when I walked in the room, he was rocking her gently and she was still just fussy and unsettled. I got her and she just stopped. I rocked her and hummed and she just settled in and fell asleep. Billy does such a wonderful job and she loves him so much.  But I experienced that moment where she really wanted me when she was sick, and it was a special moment. (Not to take anything away from Billy, I know the day is coming when she'll want only Daddy!!)

All of this was a big reminder that we are so blessed that Moriah has been so healthy these last 16 weeks. I realize many parents go through so much with their babies and childrens' health issues, and I can't imagine what that must feel like. I got a very teeny tiny glimpse of seeing my baby "unhealthy" and it is truly a helpless feeling. What a reminder that God is in control and He has them in the palm of His hand. Our children belong to Him and each day is a special blessing that He's "loaned" them to us! May I be a good steward of each moment, day, and year we have with precious Moriah!

No comments:

Post a Comment