Jazzy J

Jazzy J

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Focal Point...


They told us in our childbirth class that I would need to think about bringing a "focal point" with me to the hospital when I was in labor...You know, something such as an object or picture that I can stay focused on through the contractions...This item will be needed to help provide me with the motivation and strength I need to propel me through apparently some of the worst pain I've ever felt....hmmmm...that got me to thinking.

For one thing, I'm trying not to put too much emphasis or pressure on myself for thinking of just the right "focal point item." Because in all actuality, I'm going to be calling on the name of Jesus to get me through! I realize this object is not going to be any source of magic or miracle strength. But I'm a symbolic person and I do think it may help to have something there that gives me an extra "pick me up." (I also hear the epidural can be quite the "pick me up" as well so don't think I've forgotten about that!).

I thought about a prayer box bracelet that a friend gave me last year when we were still waiting on God's timing to get pregnant. There's also another bracelet my principal gave me that says "All things are possible..." Both of those are very meaningful to me...However, I have a feeling I'm not going to want any jewelry on during this experience....I thought about writing a meaningful saying on a piece of posterboard with bright markers and taping it to the ceiling or far wall (if they'd let me). But what would it say? "This too shall pass?" "Don't quit?"....I don't know, the sign may just aggravate me. I have a picture of Moriah's ultrasound at 20 weeks but it's pretty small so I don't think I would see it....

Who knows, perhaps all this pondering about a focal point is really meaningless because I may care less when we actually get down to the nitty gritty of things. I guess it would be hard to see it through clinched eyes, tears, and trying to breathe. What about you? Did any of you find a focal point helpful or is it really fruitless? Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment